Castillo San Felipe del Morro, San Juan, Puerto Rico

IMG_20190329_164533.jpg

Castillo San Felipe del Morro (also known as El Morro) is a citadel located in San Juan in north western Puerto Rico.  King Charles V of Spain ordered construction of the citadel in 1539.  It remained under Spanish control until 1898 when Spain ceded control of Puerto Rico to the United States under the Treaty of Paris.  The US military controlled El Morro until 1961.